Saturday, October 12, 2013

[Singapore] Song Fa Bak Kut Teh



My encounter with Song Fa Bakut Teh wasn't planned at all. Actually, I've never had any interest towards Bakut Teh. Although I've never seen it before, I always thought that Bakut Teh is some kind of herbal soup that taste like some sort of medicine. Well Song Fa proved me that I was wrong, and I shouldn't be judging food foolishly just by it's name.

That day we were walking down the road looking for our hostel, when we passed by a crowded restaurant at the corner of the street. And yes, that was Song Fa. It was fully occupied and there were a bunch of hungry customers lining up even though it wasn't a proper meal time. Drawn by curiosity, we were up early the next day to give it a try.

Song Fa at 8 AM in the morning was a lot different than the day before. The place was not overcrowded, there's only a plenty customers enjoying their breakfast calmly and having friendly conversations. I'm glad we came early.




The menu were quite various, but most of them are organs. Since I'm not eating organs, I ordered the safest yet the best seller menu, the Pork Ribs Soup (Regular size, S$ 8) and also a plate of Xiao Ba Cai in Oyster Sauce (S$ 3.5) and rice. The soup was far from what I thought as herbal and medicinal, it was rich and garlicky and peppery and so heavenly, while the pork ribs was tender and seasoned well. And the best part is, the soup is refillable! The Xiao Ba Cai was another great dish to accompany the soup. The vegetable was fresh and it has strong flavor of oyster sauce.

Later I found out that Song Fa is one of the most popular Bakut Teh place in Singapore. It's been around for more than thirty years, and people still keep coming. Well that explains. If only I had another day in Singapore, I wouldn't think twice to get my breakfast there.


Song Fa Bakut Teh
11 New Bridge Road #01-01
Singapore 059383
Bussiness Hours : 
07.00 AM - 9.30 PM
(Closed on Monday)
Ph. +65 65336128

Also Available at:
UE BizHub East
6 Changi Bussiness Park
Ave 1 #01-38 S486017
Ph. +65 66948098


By the way while we're on this area, the hostel I stayed near Song Fa is called Bunc@Radius at Clarke Quay. For the price of S$ 35 a night, you'll get a clean shared room and bathrooms and they're air conditioned well. The service was also flawless, breakfast is provided, and there are free water, milk, and oranges all day. And it's less than 5 minutes walk to Song Fa. That could be a great choice if you're traveling to Singapore on budget. It was my first hostel experience, and I am really a satisfied customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...